Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection Question #1

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection Question #1: "According to Mircea Eliade religion has 'not vanished without a trace; [it] has contributed toward making us what we are today and so, after..."

Religion has affected many parts of society but it has also influenced my life. I was a Christian for my entire life and I believe that if I were not a Christian, then maybe I would not be the person I am now. Although I am not a strong Christian, many of the things I believe in are based on this religion. I've questioned myself often times about after death of all human-beings but scientific answers did not satisfy me. However religious systems of Christianity explained to me what would happen after death. The morals and mores I hold are also based on the bible, holy book of Christianity. Sometimes when I was down, I turned to God and prayed to him, asking him to help me get through. By doing this, I was able to overcome many obstacles in my life. Being a Christian, I tried to go to church every Sunday morning, regardless of busy schedules. I also celebrated holidays such as Christmas, and Easter. Although I believe in many things Christianity teaches, sometimes, I think over-practicing this religion is bad. I have an uncle who is a strong Christian. Often times though, when we meet as a family, he misses it due to church related events. When all the adults are having wine to celebrate, he always sits out which makes everything a bit awkward. I know being a strong believer is a good thing but I think when it comes down to families just enjoying each other, they should be able to have a sip of wine. Having someone like this in my life kept me from becoming a strong believer but I can easily say that religion has had an influence on my history.

No comments:

Post a Comment