Sunday, October 3, 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation: "Spend 20 mintues in a silent meditation; a place you won't be disturbed, your own 'fig tree' as was Buddha's inspiration. In those 20 mintue..."

During my 20 minutes meditation, I sat on my bed, back against the wall with the windows opened. At first, I found it extremely difficult to concentrate but I still tried to clear my mind. About 2 minutes into meditation, I started to hear things that I have never heard before in my room. I heard the cars in a distance, and I heard little children screaming outside. However, keeping a blank mind did not last very long. Around 10 minutes later, I started to feel pain in my back. Many thoughts came into my mind such as, 'I still haven't finished my DBQ,' 'How am I going to study for my Spanish Quiz?' 'I still need to read my APUSH textbook.' For the first time in my life, 20 minutes felt extremely long. I realized how hard it is to attain "right thoughts", "right mindfulness" and "right concentration." While Buddha meditated for several days, I could not even concentrate for solid 20 minutes. However, I think meditating helped me concentrate on my homework. Usually when I am writing my reflections, it would take me more than 30 minutes because I get off track, going on facebook, chatting and what not. However, after 20 minutes of meditation, I felt more calm and concentrated so I was able to write my reflection quicker and more efficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment